Sunday, June 26, 2011

Happy Fifth of July


Here's a card I've made for my Dad for his birthday.....it's the 5th of July so I'm going with the Red, White, and Blue theme this year. I just love this little D. O. T. S. angel along with the hearts. I've also used the banner. For those of you who are not familiar with D. O. T. S., it's what Close to My Heart used to be called when they first started out. It stands for Dozens of Terrific Stamps and I wish I could still get them. I have an old catalog (actually more than one.....since I could only order when I hosted a party and could "earn" free stuff) and it brings back lots of good memories, back when my kids actually wanted to stamp with me. My cousin Kim is the one who first invited me to one of their demonstrations.....and I thought "What do I want stamps for?" I had never worked with them before but I went because it was a good excuse to get together with everyone. That was back in 1992 (I think!) and I have been hooked ever since. I used to only drag my stuff out for making Christmas Cards and Valentine's and was always frustrated because I could never get them colored in right and they always looked so one dimensional, then I just kind of gave up and they gathered dust a lot. Since I quit working I decided to play around with them again since I needed to get into my crafts again and rediscovered how much enjoyment I get out of creating. I have many crafty things to do but can't really do any one for very long before it gets to being a chore. I used to sew constantly for the kids but it's gotten so expensive....you might as well just buy the darn clothes.....and the kids are mostly grown. I sewed more for the girls than the boys and my youngest son is 11 ( Oh jeez....almost 12!) so I don't sew much anymore. Anyway....just wanted anyone out there that takes a peek to know what I mean about the stamps......I never see the old stamps on anyone else's blogs and they are a thing of the past......to carry on.....give credit to the other companies who's wonderful stuff I've used.......

I started with plain old blue CS that you buy in a pack from JoAnn's....the next layer is some old D. O. T. S. paper I still have hanging around. The hardest part of this card was figuring out the background for the little angel.....I finally settled on taking plain white CS and spritzing on Ditress Ink that I mixed with Perfect Pearls and water in a Mini Mister.....all from Ranger Inks. I used Fired Brick and Tumbled Glass then inked the edges with Vintage Photo. The stars are cut from the George Cartridge on the Cricut and then I accented the smaller ones with Diamond Dust Stickles (Ranger). The angel and banner are popped with dimentionals from 3M. Thanks for stopping by....Happy Stamping.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Loralei, I love your card. I have some old DOTS stamps, too. I have used them and posted on Splitcoast stampers and categorize them under CTMH. One of my first cards I put on my blog was an old DOTS image. With all the great products out there now, I think our old stamps are great to use. I love using Copics. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete